The Centre For Ability, Rehabilitation and Empowerment (CARE) PWD in Politics Advocacy Team were on Tuesday 24th November 2021 hosted by the European Centre for Electoral Support under the European Union Support For Democratic Governance in Nigeria (EUSDGN) led by Mr. Hamza Fassi-Fihri – ECES Project Coordinator (EUSDGN).
They identified positively with the PWD in Politics and promised to support on making INEC more aware of the needs of PWDs in Politics from their side.
ECES note that they will be interested in supporting the PWD situation room some form of collaboration with other OPDs.
ECES may also be interested in the participation and training of INEC PWD adhoc staff and would add support in ensuring that more work is done in that area from INEC.
They were also receptive of political parties PWD representation in more political positions especially starting from the grass root of LGA council elections and creating accessibility in party offices as well as in rallies.
Mr Manji Wilson, Deputy Project Coordinator/Electoral Comms Adviser, iterated that for special voting Centres or pre-voting for PWDs, it should be a work in progress as they too would add their voices to help accelerate the process with INEC.
ECES further appreciated CARE for her brilliant ideas and noted that they may commit to supporting the ideas that CARE raises to enable accessible voting for PWDs as follows:
- Supporting Funding for PWDs transportations to and from INEC offices to pick up voters cards and during election days proper, from their next project cycle which will start by May 2022.
- Involving PWDs in election processes.
- They are Committed to working with INEC to enable accessible voting during elections.
- Ensuring that PWDs are involved in adhoc staffing during elections.
- Supportinh PWDs involvement in political parties participation and being voted for.
- May look into Refreshments for PWDs adhoc staff during election days.